- A number of incidents have happened in the last few weeks.
- The number of incidents has increased recently.
- There have been a number of incidents in the last few weeks.
- There has been an increase in the number of incidents recently.
- When truncating, a number of this order of magnitude is between ... (Wikipedia)
Other similar quantifiers
- A number of people have complained that they were badly treated
- A few of us are going to the cinema. Do you want to come?
- He's written several books, and a couple of them are really good.
- A lot of young people in that town are unemployed.
- A small majority of members have voted in favour of the measure.
But note the informal there's a
- There's a couple of things I don't understand.
- There's an awful lot of people in the street.
- There's a number of things we need to do.