- un- The most common, can appear before any letter
- in- The next most common, appears mainly before the letters a,c,d,e,f,h,o,s,v
- il- Appears before some, but not all, adjectives beginning with l
- im- Appears before some, but not all, adjectives beginning with m, p
- ir- Appears before some, but not all, adjectives beginning with r
- dis- Appears before certain adjectives
- You can choose to list adjectives by frequency (how often they are used) or by prefix. To start the exercise click on an appropriate button.
- You do them alphabetically or randomise them.
- Adjectives marked with an asterisk (*), are not used without the negative prefix.
- You can double-click on any adjective to get a definition from the Free Online Dictionary
- You can make a reference list by selecting 'All' and selecting 'Teacher' copy. You will need to do it over two pages. Or you can make shorter lists with any selection.
1. Negative prefixes
Exercise - select the correct prefix - click on any button to start
|Choose by frequency|
|Choose by prefix|
2. Other negative prefixes used with certain adjectives
- a- usually means without or lacking in
amoral, anarchistic, anonymous, apathetic, apolitical, asexual, assymetric, atheist, atypical
- anti usually means against
- counter usually means against or opposite
counterproductive, counterfeit, counter-intuitive, counterclockwise
- mal usually means badly
malcontent, malnourished, maladjusted
- non usually means not
non-political, non-refundable, non-returnable, non-violent, non-profit