- "discuss" is really just another (more formal) way of saying "talk about"
We discussed (talked about) the new system.
- the noun "discussion" is often (and correctly) followed by the preposition "about"
We had a discussion about the new system.
The basic rule
I discussed about my problem with my parents.
Jury members are not allowed to discuss about the trial.
- to talk about something with somebody, especially in order to decide something
- to write or talk about something in detail, showing the different ideas and opinions about it (often in the passive)
- a noun phrase or pronoun - discuss something (with somebody)
We'll be discussing the matter at tomorrow's meeting.
Have you discussed this with anybody else?
We need to discuss the question of who is going to pay for all this.
- an -ing form (phrase) - discuss doing something
Have we discussed pricing yet?
They discussed moving to a new location.
- a wh-clause - discuss what / how / where / when / who / whether
We still haven't discussed how we're going to do this.
In fact we haven't even discussed whether it's a good idea or not.
And if we do go ahead, we'll need to discuss where would be a good location.
- I'll then go on to discuss how this can be achieved.
- The results of this will be discussed in greater detail in the next chapter.
- The essay starts off by discussing the beneficial effects of exercise.
- For the reasons discussed above, the results have been disappointing.
Collocations with discuss
- issue, matter, plan, proposal, question, subject, topic
- the future, the implications, the situation
When it's possible to follow discuss with about.
- Although the two parts of the task are related, the thing they have to decide and the thing they have to discuss about each item isn't exactly the same
- The five things you aren't allowed to discuss about Linux
What aren't we allowed to discuss?
five things about Linux (= direct object of discuss)
- 9 things we need to discuss about Miley Cyrus's new song
What do we need to discuss?
9 things about Miley Cirus's new song (= direct object of discuss)
- Any issues you want to discuss about HTML or web development?
What might you want to discuss?
Any issues about HTML or web development. (= direct object of discuss)
- White men have much to discuss about mass shootings
What do white men have to discuss?
much about mass shootings (= direct object of have)
This last one is the headline from an interesting and provocative op-ed (Opinion-Editorial) article in The Washington Post, which has generated a lot of discussion on the Internet (and over 5000 comments on its own page) - link below.
Some basic guidelines for say, tell, discuss etc
- say something (to somebody)
- tell somebody (something)
- talk about something (to / with somebody)
- discuss something (with somebody)
- mention something (to somebody)
Practice - discuss, talk (about), say, tell, mention
Complete the sentences with words from the box. Some are used more than once.
|1.||She me earlier she would be a bit late.|
|2.||She to start without her.|
|3.||Didn't we this at the last meeting?|
|4.||He's giving a on the effects of glaciation.|
|5.||What did you two about? Oh, everything under the sun.|
|6.||The three of us had a fascinating about British humour.|
|7.||Has anyone you the news yet?|
|8.||That's exactly what I was just .|
|9.||I'm sure he something about it in passing.|
|10.||We need to when we're going to start this project.|
|11.||Did she why she had taken this decision?|
|12.||He a lot about his experiences in Africa.|
|13.||A little bird me it's your birthday today.|
|14.||We haven't changing the name of the product.|
|15.||You were me about why you had decided to leave.|
The Indian Exception - a linguistic diversion
- "Discuss about the advantages and disadvantages of management by objectives"
Principles Of Management, by V.S.Bagad
- "Discuss about various devices for the transportation of solids"
Mechanical Operations Fundamental Principles and Applications, by Kiran D. Patil
- "Discuss about steps in root canal treatment"
Essentials of Operative Dentistry, by I. Anand Sherwood
- "Discuss about the factors determining an effective span of management."
- Principles of Management (a different one), by K. Anbuvelan
- "Discuss about the forest resources and their uses."
Elements of Environmental Science and Engineering, by P. Meenakshi
- "Briefly discuss about the Gandhi Peace Peace Prize"
How To Do Well In Gds And Interviews, by T.I.M.E (India)
- "Discuss about animal biotechnology and its significance"
Biotechnology Fundamentals, by Firdos Alam Khan
District collector C A Latha to convene a meeting to discuss about the development of the canoli canal
Times of India
- Unfair to discuss about Sachin's retirement
- Have a meeting with them and discuss about the crisis
- Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary - definition plus useful usage notes
- Macmillan Dictionary - definition
- Just the Word - collocations
- Netspeak - discuss - collocations
- Netspeak - discussed - collocations
- Using English.com - FCE Speaking test
- The Washington Post - White men have much to discuss about mass shootings
- Google Books - "discuss about"
- Exploring the Lexis-grammar interface edited by Ute Römer, Rainer Schulze
- Is it OK to say ‘discuss about something’? S Upendran, in The Hindu