- The winning team was cheered loudly by its supporters.
= the team which won - active meaning
- The players of the defeated team looked exhausted.
= the team that was defeated - passive meaning
- A broken marriage - nobody really broke it - intransitive
- A broken heart - perhaps somebody else was responsible - transitive?
- grown - Come on, you're a grown man. You can do your own washing.
But NOT a grown vegetable (although home-grown vegetables is OK)
- fallen - She swept all the fallen leaves into a corner
But NOT a fallen cup
- Could give me a list of the selected candidates / candidates selected
- Rub some ointment into the affected area / area affected
- They made a list of the stolen goods / goods stolen
- Please use the towels provided
- They made a list of the things taken
- The damage caused was considerable
Injured and hurt
- The ambulances took away the injured people.
- The ambulances took away the people injured in the accident.
- The ambulances took away the people hurt in the accident.
- The ambulances took away the hurt people. (???)
Injured and hurt as adjectives - in dictionaries
- an injured leg
Carter is playing in place of the injured O'Reilly. - Oxford Advanced Learner's
- The injured man was taken to hospital. - Macmillan
- an injured bird
Chelsea have three injured players. - Longman
- She was told to stay in bed to rest her injured back - Cambridge
- None of the passengers were badly hurt.
Martha's hurt pride showed in her eyes. - Oxford Advanced Learner's
- A child could get hurt, climbing that thing.
Andy was terribly hurt by his first marriage. - Macmillan
- Fortunately, no one was seriously hurt.
his hurt pride - Longman
- Let me help you up. Are you hurt?
"That was very unkind," he said in a hurt voice. - Cambridge
On the web
- injured man 43
- injured person 17
- injured player 17
- injured animal 15
- injured leg 15
- injured ankle 13
- injured patient 14
Site search at the BBC
|the injured man||517||the hurt man||4|
|the injured men||91||the hurt men||0|
|the injured person||66||the hurt person||1|
|the injured people||69||the hurt people||0|
|the injured player||93||the hurt player||0|
|the injured animal||24||the hurt animal||0|
|the injured leg||11||the hurt leg||0|
|the injured ankle||9||the hurt ankle||1|
|the injured patient||5||the hurt patient||0|
|the injured worker||9||the hurt worker||0|
|the injured employee||1||the hurt employee||0|
Two cases of the tail wagging the dog?
- "The hurt child was taken to the hospital."
Dictionary.com (based on The Random House Dictionary)
- "ambulances...for the hurt men and women"
The Free Dictionary (based on Wordnet)
Dictionary.com's The hurt child
Actual Google counts (with discrepancy)
- "the hurt child" 530
- "parenting the hurt child" 305
- "adopting the hurt child" 306
- Margaret Attwood "the hurt child" 42