Exercise 1 - Use the words and phrases in the box to complete the sentences.
|1.||Don't go, I might need to help me with the supper.|
|2.||The sitting room needs , could you make a start?|
|3.||Let's go to the country this weekend, I need of air.|
|4.||If that's all you can say, you needn't .|
|5.||She really needs some rest, she's been working too hard.|
|6.||There's no need to get up early tomorrow.|
|7.||We'll supply everything. All you need is yourself.|
|8.||I'm in need a good stiff drink.|
|9.||You needn't worry a thing. Everything is taken care of.|
|10.||There's food in the fridge if you need .|
|11.||What do you need such a large car ? You don't have a family.|
|12.||We didn't need for anything. It was all gratis.|
As a normal main verb
- He needs a new car.
- I badly needed a haircut, so I went into town.
- If you had needed money so desperately, why didn't you tell me?
- We really need to tidy up the garden.
- We've been needing to do it for ages.
- We'll need to do it before Granny comes.
- I need you to finish this report as soon as possible.
- She needed him to help her move some furniture.
- We need someone to look after the children.
As a modal auxiliary verb
- He needn't eat it if he doesn't want to.
- Need she be there before nine?
- I needn't have bothered after all.
- Need you have been quite so rude to him?
- We need to go shopping.
- We need go shopping.
- I need hardly tell you how important this is. (you should know already)
- All you need pay for is the flight. We'll take care of everything else.
- If she wants help, she need only ask.
- We needn't go yet, need we?
- We don't need to go yet, do we?
- We don't need to take our passports, do we?
- We needn't take our passports, need we?
- You don't need to carry ID in Britain.
- You needn't carry ID in Britain.
- You needn't tell her about the party, she knows already. -
- You mustn't tell her about the party, it's a surprise. -
- You needn't wash up, I'll do it.
- You don't have to wash up, I'll do it.
- Need she talk so loud?
- Does she have to talk so loudly?
Talking about future necessity
- Does he need to bring his swimming things?
- Need she pay in advance?
- We don't need to leave for another hour.
- You needn't do that, I'll do it later.
- You'll need to buy a resident's parking permit.
- I'll need to think about this very carefully.
- We'll need to think about leaving soon.
- You need to write this report this again - i.e. I think it's absolute rubbish
- You'll need to write this report again - I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is.
- We need to repaint the front door. - And soon! It's in a terrible state
- We'll need to repaint the front door. - It's one of the things we could do in the future.
Didn't need to and needn't have done
|1.||We needn't have hurried as the bus was late.|
|2.||We didn't need to hurry as we had plenty of time.|
|3.||We didn't need to book as there were plenty of places.|
|4.||We needn't have booked. Look! It's half empty.|
Something needs doing
|1.||I need to cut the grass.|
|2.||The grass needs cutting.|
|3.||She needs to cook the turkey.|
|4.||The turkey needs cooking.|
When you're annoyed with somebody.
Exercise 4 - Use the verbs in the box to fill the gaps. One of them could go in two possible places, so you will have to do it by process of elimination.
|1.||He needn't I'm going to work late again tonight!|
|2.||You needn't ! It'll happen to you some day.|
|3.||She needn't at me like that just because I said what I thought.|
|4.||He needn't to me as though I was a child.|
|5.||If she thinks I'm going to help her, she needn't . She never helps me!|
|6.||You needn't even about it! You're not staying out late again tonight!|
The verb - putting it all together.
Exercise 5 - Choose a suitable form of need plus the correct form of the words or phrases in the box to complete these sentences. Also include any words given in brackets. In some questions more than one construction is possible .
a holiday · phone · rush · do
|1.||I think the oil in the car probably . Could you check it, please.|
|2.||She to get ready as he turned up twenty minutes late.|
|3.||He for a taxi, as there was a taxi rank just by his front door.|
|4.||I and some nails to put up this picture.|
|5.||You a taxi, we'll collect you at the station.|
|6.||He (never) his own washing, his mother has always done it for him.|
|7.||We some more coffee, there's none left.|
|8.||The plants in the sitting room . Can you do it?|
|9.||We if we're going to get the station on time.|
|10.||I've been working too hard lately. I badly .|
As a noun
Exercise 6 - Use the words in the box to complete the sentences.
|1.||This room is badly in need repainting.|
|2.||There's a great need more affordable housing in this area.|
|3.||A roof over your head and bread on the table are needs.|
|4.||We have enough just about enough money to our needs.|
|5.||He seems to have a desperate need to praised all the time.|
|6.||There's no need everybody to go all at once.|
|7.||She felt a need to get something off her chest.|
|8.||Well I'll tell you one thing. I'm need of a stiff drink.|
|9.||We have to give priority to those who are most need.|
|10.||He gives a lot of money to the homeless and needy.|
|11.||The training course is designed to meet students' needs.|
|12.||I have needs too, you know! (can have a sexual connotation)|
Collocations with need
Exercise 7 - Solve the anagrams to fill the gaps.
|1.||He badly needs a (r h a c i t u), it's getting far too long.|
|2.||Can I use your (o o l)? I'm in desperate need of a pee. (very informal)|
|3.||I don't need to think about getting up just yet. It's still (a e l r y ).|
|4.||I hardly need tell you how pleased I was to hear your (s w e n).|
|5.||You needn't bother with the washing up, we've got a (h e h i r a w s s d).|
|6.||He doesn't need to worry about the (i b l l). We'll pay for everything.|
|7.||We obviously need to look at this a in bit more (a l t i d e).|
|8.||We are sorely in need of new (u t s o c m r e) since the existing ones are spending so much less nowadays.|
- To desperately need something - To have a desperate need of / for something
- Something is sorely needed - There is a sore need for something
- We obviously need to do something - There is an obvious need to do something
- You needn't bother doing something - There is no need to bother doing something
- You don't need to worry about anything - There's no need to worry about anything
Idioms and expressions with need
Exercise 8a - Fill the gaps using the words in the box.
|1.||Oh no! A flat tyre, that's I needed!|
|2.||If need we can always buy a new one.|
|3.||We'll only tell the staff on a need to know .|
|4.||A friend in need is a friend .|
|5.||The thing you need on holiday is to have your wallet stolen.|
|6.||Whose idea was it to have a bad taste party? - Need you ? Roger's, of course.|
|7.||He did what? He really needs his examining that boy!.|
|8.||Well I needed that like a in the head.|
Exercise 8b - Fill the gaps using the words in the box.
|1.||He's always ready to help people in their of need.|
|2.||Dinner was a disaster. Pete was cooking - need I say ?|
|3.||Yet more hassles at work. I mean, needs it? I certainly don't!|
|4.||There's need to take that tone with me, young man!|
|5.||All the hotels are full, we'll just have to sleep in the car. Oh well, when needs !|
|6.||Needless to , I'm really happy you could come.|
|7.||Our expert staff will attend to your need.|
|8.||Whatever was I thinking of? Sometimes I think I need my head seen !|
- Ex 1. - 1. you, 2. tidying, 3. a change, 4. bother, 5. to get, 6. for you, 7. bring, 8. of, 9. about, 10. it, 11. for, 12. to pay
- Ex 2. - 1. Yes, 2. No, 3. No, 4. Yes
- Ex 3. - 1. Yes, 2. No, 3. Yes, 4. No
- Ex 4. - 1. imagine, 2. laugh, 3. look, 4. talk, 5. bother, 6. think
- 1. all, 2. be, 3. basis, 4. indeed, 5. last, 6. ask, 7. head, 8. hole
- Ex 5. - 1. needs changing, 2. needn't have rushed, 3. didn't need to phone, 4. need a hammer, 5. needn't take, 6. has never needed to do, 7. need to buy, 8. need watering, 9. need to hurry, 10. need a holiday
- Ex 6. - 1. of, 2. for, 3. basic, 4. meet, 5. be, 6. for, 7. strong, 8. in, 9. in, 10. the, 11. individual, 12. do
- Ex 7. - 1. haircut, 2. loo, 3. early, 4. news, 5. dishwasher, 6. bill, 7. detail, 8. customer
- Ex 8a. - 1. all, 2. be, 3. basis, 4. indeed, 5. last, 6. ask, 7. head, 8. hole
- Ex 8b. - 1. hour, 2. more, 3. who, 4. no, 5. must, 6. say, 7. every, 8. to