Words and expressions in the extract
- it - presumably something in the road, maybe Barry's tractor?
- skidded - to skid: (usually of a vehicle) to slide sideways or forwards in an uncontrolled way
- ditch - a long channel dug at the side of a field or road, to hold or take away water
- bumper - a bar fixed to the front and back of a car, etc. to reduce the effect if it hits anything
- For actions in the past around a certain time
At four o'clock yesterday afternoon I was playing tennis.
- For a longer action in the past interrupted by a short one
We were watching the tennis when it started to rain.
- For longer actions which are more to do with states than events
She was wearing a raincoat and (was) carrying an umbrella.
- For setting the scene at the beginning of a story
He was driving along a quiet country road ...